The Philadelphia Police Department (PPD) under the executive direction of the Police Commissioner, seeks a candidate to fill the role of Diversity and Inclusion Officer (DIO) to manage and maintain overall agency responsibility for the coordination, implementation and administration of all programs, policies and procedures in the areas of equity, inclusion and equal employment opportunity for approximately 8,000 uniformed and civilian members of the Philadelphia Police Department.
The DIO serves as the resource person and principal advisor to the Police Commissioner on all issues in the sensitive area of equal employment and equity and inclusion and provides instrumental guidance to ensure the PPD remains diverse and inclusive for all.
The DIO works with the executive staff to ensure that the Philadelphia Police Departments reflects community diversity and inclusion throughout the city, by researching, creating and implementing appropriate metrics to help identify successful organizational policies and processes.
- Responsible for overall organizational development and implementation of the Department’s Equity and Inclusion programs, strategic framework, and work/life policies and programs
- Provides guidance and operational assistance in the development of enterprise strategies for diversity, equity, and inclusion, including governance structure, policies, procedures, metrics, benchmarks, action plans and processes to effectively support leadership
- Conceptualizes, creates and implements appropriate Equity and Inclusion metrics for measuring organizational and divisional success and ensures that the Department’s policies and programs are successful in their ability to attract and retain an inclusive population that serves a diverse community
- Reviews, monitors and evaluates all employment practices affecting recruitment, hiring/selection, retention, promotion, separation, demotion, transfer and training within the Department
- Oversees the planning and development of equal employment opportunity and equity, diversity and inclusion training for Department personnel; consults with leading experts in the area of diversity, equity and inclusion to improve the Department’s working environment
- Ensures that every unit fosters a culture that is diverse, inclusive, innovative and proactively leverages multiple dimensions of diversity
- Develops an equity and inclusion communications strategy that keeps the executive staff informed about diversity programs and policies
- Ensures all employment diversity-related efforts on behalf of the Department are performed in the best practices and in compliance with legal standards
- Will be responsible for equal employment opportunity compliance and governance and policy development.
Education and Experience
- Six years of satisfactory EEO, diversity, legal or combined experience managing government and agency operations, engaging in complex EEO compliance and government matters
- Minimum of two years managing large staffs in a managerial or executive capacity
Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Solid understanding of applicable federal, state and city guidelines and laws pertaining to Equity and Inclusion and Equal Employment Opportunity
- Must possess an in-depth knowledge of police department policy and practice, operations and procedures
- Must have highly developed managerial, administrative and supervisory skills; familiarity with and experience in conducting investigations alleging discriminatory acts; ability to discern discriminatory acts and skills in resolving problems in this area
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Salary Range: $75,000 – $95,000
Please submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample and reference list with your application. Applications without all documents will not be considered.
Did you know?
- We are a Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program qualified employer
- Employees are eligible for a 25% tuition discount program (and sometimes spouses and dependents as well) in partnership with area colleges and universities
- We offer comprehensive health coverage for employees and their eligible dependents
- Our wellness program offers eligibility into the discounted medical plan
- Employees receive paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays
- Generous retirement savings options are available
Successful candidate must be a city of Philadelphia resident within six months of hire
The City of Philadelphia is an Equal Opportunity employer and does not permit discrimination based on race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, source of income, familial status, genetic information or domestic or sexual violence victim status. If you believe you were discriminated against, call the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations at 215-686-4670 or send an email to email@example.com. For more information, go to: Human Relations Website: http://www.phila.gov/humanrelations/Pages/default.aspx