Sep 11, 2020
Job Description **Associate Public Health Sanitarian II-31220 – Open for permanent or for candidates who filed for the recent Associate Public Health Sanitarian Promo Exam No: 0154 during the period September 5, 2019 – September 25, 2019.
The New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene's Division of Environmental Health works to prevent and control illness and injury related to environmental and occupational health risk through outreach, education, surveillance and enforcement. With staff of 1,000, the Division covers a broad range of subject matter, including oversight of environmental investigations, lead poisoning, injury prevention, occupational health, food safety, child care, radiation control, recreational and drinking water quality, air quality, climate health, vector control, veterinary public health and pest control. The Bureau of Child Care ensures that child care services in New York City operate in compliance with the New York City Health Code and New York State Social Service regulations and are licensed or permitted as required by law. The Bureau routinely monitors child care programs to protect the health and safety of children while in the child care environment, and actively works to improve and expand access to high quality programs which support early childhood development and learning The Bureau seeks to hire a Deputy Director of Training to develop, implement, oversee and evaluate training activities.
DUTIES WILL INCLUDE BUT NOT BE LIMITED TO:
Assist in creating individualized training and development plans that address performance needs and expectations.
Analyze and identify training needs through field inspection analysis, and consultation with staff, supervisors, and leadership.
Deploy a wide range of training methods and conduct training and orientation sessions.
Monitor, evaluate, and report on the training program's effectiveness based on established success factors.
Conduct monthly visits to the Bureau's borough offices to conduct small group training, assessment and consultation.
Research training opportunities for ongoing staff development.
Resolve specific challenges and tailor training accordingly.
Maintain a keen understanding of training trends and best practices. Minimum Qual Requirements 1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college, including or supplemented by 30 semester credits in the physical and/or biological sciences, biology, botany, chemistry, geology, physics, physiology, and zoology; of which not more than 12 credit hours may be in the applied sciences, environmental technology, sanitation technology, medical technology, public health, infection control or food service; and at least two years of satisfactory full-time experience performing inspections to assure compliance with pertinent laws, rules and regulations governing the areas of food, drugs and general environmental conditions; or
2. An associate degree from an accredited college, with 15 semester credits in the physical and/or biological sciences, of which not more than 6 credit hours may be in the applied sciences, and 4 years of satisfactory full-time experience as described in "1" above; or
3. Education and/or experience equivalent to "1" or "2" above. However, all candidates must have at least 60 semester credits from an accredited college, including at least 15 semester credits in the physical and/or biological sciences. Furthermore, to assure compliance with Section of the Compilation of the Rules and Regulations of the State of New York (NYCRR) - Title 10 (Health), all candidates must have at least 2 years of experience as a public health sanitarian as described in "1" above. Preferred Skills Candidate must be permanent in the Associate Public Health Sanitarian title; Demonstrate leadership and supervisory abilities; Managerial skills to implement new strategies and protocol; Ability to detect procedures needing improvement in a large and complex field staff operation; Excellent written and verbal communication skills; Preferred candidate has a background in environmental health, child care or related field. Additional Information **IMPORTANT NOTES TO ALL CANDIDATES:
Please note: If you are called for an interview you will be required to bring to your interview copies of original documentation, such as:
• A document that establishes identity for employment eligibility, such as: A Valid Passport, Permanent Resident Card/Green Card, or Driver’s license.
• Proof of Education according to the education requirements of the civil service title.
• Current Resume
• Proof of Address/NYC Residency dated within the last 60 days, such as: Recent Utility Bill Telephone, Cable, Mobile Phone)
Additional documentation may be required to evaluate your qualification as outlined in this posting’s “Minimum Qualification Requirements” section. Examples of additional documentation may be, but not limited to: college transcript, experience verification or professional trade licenses.
If after your interview you are the selected candidate you will be contacted to schedule an on-boarding appointment. By the time of this appointment you will be asked to produce the originals of the above documents along with your original Social Security card.