The Budget Office is seeking an Assistant Budget Director for Capital. The Assistant Budget Director will report to the Deputy Budget Director for Capital Budget and Real Estate. The ideal candidate would have experience working with budgetary information, database management, accounting systems and real estate development.
The job has three main roles.
- To assist the Deputy with preparing the Annual Capital Budget
- To assist the Deputy with running the day to day operations of the capital budget unit
- To assist the Deputy with special projects related to real estate development and analysis
Preparation of the Annual Capital budget includes the following tasks:
- Assist the Deputy with various writing assignments including legislation, annual budget call documents, narrative for the capital budget book, and press materials
- Serve as the main point of contact for 21 capital departments to answer questions on the budget submission including training for departments on how to use the budget database
- Review departmental requests, analyze prior year data, and request follow up information from departments in order to generate and convey insightful recommendations
- Assist the Deputy with analysis and research utilizing advanced excel skills, and data visualization techniques
- Work with the various units of the Budget Office, especially Analysis and Communications, to increase the public’s understanding of the Capital Budget
- Fact check information and prepare information for the press
Operations of the Capital Budget Unit include:
- Manage the day to day operations of the unit which involves advising departments on how to spend their appropriations, working within multiple databases to track funding
- Responsible for the quality control of all work orders, encumbrance requests and funding questions
- Manage the annual budget uploads into the accounting system and the Capital Budget Management Systems
- Create reports and pivot tables by extracting information from various databases
- Maintain existing databases
- Assist with supervising a team of four budget analysts
- Responsible for training new staff members and troubleshooting any technical issues
- Understanding different types of contracts and their various business processes
- Convening different stakeholders to problem solve issues
- Vendor management and refinement of business processes
- Developing and documenting financial policies
- Research projects working with different types of large data sets in multiple internal databases
- Serve as Deputy’s Representative at various internal and external meetings
- Work with various departments to create development and operating proformas for potential City real estate development projects
- Analyze due diligence documents including appraisals, environmental reports
- Sit on various committees
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum of two years working in government, budget, accounting, financial analysis or real estate development.
- Masters in Economics, City Planning, Data Science, Business Administration, Accounting, Government Administration, Public Policy, or related field preferred and may be substituted for work experience.
Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The ideal candidate has a demonstrated record of the following:
- Excellent project management, organizational, and analytical skills
- Accounting/Finance background
- Exemplary written, verbal communication skills especially with multiple stakeholders, including elected officials
- Diplomatic and sensitive to being within a political framework while being able to navigate a large bureaucracy
- Proactive approach to work with a customer service focus
- Must be creative and goal-oriented with an appreciation for the mission of the City of Philadelphia and be interested in working in an extremely team-oriented and collaborative setting
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in a tight timeframe
- Knowledge of database management, especially financial databases and experience with large amounts of data
- Ability to learn complex concepts and processes quickly and translate them to simple terms for a wide variety of audiences
- Advanced Excel skills
- Proficient in Google Docs, Microsoft office suite, Adobe Creative Suite, and Database SQL
Salary: $60,000 – $70,000
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and reference list with your application. Applications without all documents will not be considered.
Did you know?
- We are a Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program qualified employer
- Employees are eligible for a 25% tuition discount program (and sometimes spouses and dependents as well) in partnership with area colleges and universities
- We offer comprehensive health coverage for employees and their eligible dependents
- Our wellness program offers eligibility into the discounted medical plan
- Employees receive paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays
- Generous retirement savings options are available
Successful candidate must be a city of Philadelphia resident within six months of hire
The City of Philadelphia is an Equal Opportunity employer and does not permit discrimination based on race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, source of income, familial status, genetic information or domestic or sexual violence victim status. If you believe you were discriminated against, call the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations at 215-686-4670 or send an email to email@example.com. For more information, go to: Human Relations Website: http://www.phila.gov/humanrelations/Pages/default.aspx