Sep 11, 2020
Job Description The New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (NYCDOHMH), Bureau of Public Health Laboratory (PHL) is seeking to hire a qualified City Research Scientist II to serve as a scientist at the PHL. The mission of the Public Health Laboratory is to safeguard the health all New York City residents by providing quality laboratory testing services that address the needs of the NYC DOHMH and its community partners to prevent and respond to food, clinical and environmental public health concerns. This position will supervise staff and participate in Whole Genome Sequencing activities at PHL and coordinating these activities with external and internal partners. This is an excellent opportunity to join our team and continue to make history at the world's first municipal public health laboratory.
DUTIES WILL INCLUDE BUT NOT BE LIMITED TO:
* Perform high-level supervisory functions in laboratory setting such as advising staff of appropriate methods and techniques, oversee the work of personnel to ensure accurate results
* Effectively train staff on microbiological and molecular laboratory procedures
* Participate in the design and implementation of bioinformatics tools and methods
* Design and participate in Next Generation Sequencing Analysis research studies and supervise staff in conducting research projects
* Represent the agency in meetings and conferences
* Coordinate WGS activities with intra- and inter-agency partners
* Actively participate in monitoring regulatory requirements and maintain quality assurance of laboratory operations
* Draft and approve written protocols (SOPs)
* Maintain accurate records of methods and software tools design
* Write original manuscripts for publication based on data analyses and product development Minimum Qual Requirements 1. For Assignment Level I (only physical, biological and environmental sciences and public health) A master's degree from an accredited college or university with a specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological or environmental science or in public health.
To be appointed to Assignment Level II and above, candidates must have:
1. A doctorate degree from an accredited college or university with specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological, environmental or social science and one year of full-time experience in a responsible supervisory, administrative or research capacity in the appropriate field of specialization; or
2. A master's degree from an accredited college or university with specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological, environmental or social science and three years of responsible full-time research experience in the appropriate field of specialization; or
3. Education and/or experience which is equivalent to "1" or "2" above. However, all candidates must have at least a master's degree in an appropriate field of specialization and at least two years of experience described in "2" above. Two years as a City Research Scientist Level I can be substituted for the experience required in "1" and "2" above.
Appointments to this position are subject to a minimum probationary period of one year. Preferred Skills Experience with common tools for Next Generation Sequencing Analysis (NGSA), including reference based analysis and knowledge of bioinformatics procedures
A PhD or MS degree in the biological sciences with extensive experience in the technical and administrative operations of a Clinical or Public Health Laboratory
Strong analytical and organizational skills; Excellent oral, inter-personal and written communication skills. Additional Information **IMPORTANT NOTES TO ALL CANDIDATES:
Please note: If you are called for an interview you will be required to bring to your interview copies of original documentation, such as:
• A document that establishes identity for employment eligibility, such as: A Valid Passport, Permanent Resident Card/Green Card, or Driver’s license.
• Proof of Education according to the education requirements of the civil service title.
• Current Resume
• Proof of Address/NYC Residency dated within the last 60 days, such as: Recent Utility Bill Telephone, Cable, Mobile Phone)
Additional documentation may be required to evaluate your qualification as outlined in this posting’s “Minimum Qualification Requirements” section. Examples of additional documentation may be, but not limited to: college transcript, experience verification or professional trade licenses.
If after your interview you are the selected candidate you will be contacted to schedule an on-boarding appointment. By the time of this appointment you will be asked to produce the originals of the above documents along with your original Social Security card.