Sep 11, 2020
Job Description The mission of the PHL is to safeguard the health of New York City residents by providing quality laboratory testing services that address the needs of the NYC DOHMH and its community partners to prevent and respond to clinical and environmental public health concerns. This is an excellent opportunity to join our team and continue to make history at the world's first municipal public health laboratory. The NYC DOHMH Public Health Laboratory is seeking to hire a qualified Congregate Setting Testing Coordinator.
This position will serve as the Laboratory Director for Quickie Laboratories. The Laboratory Director will be responsible for all laboratory testing, managing schedules and budgets, providing strategic planning and direction, and providing general oversight of the laboratories. The incumbent will also be involved in setting up a Quickie Laboratory and operating the lab.
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
-Providing clinical and administrative oversight of Quickie laboratories
-Developing goals and objectives in accordance with the mission of the Public Health Laboratory
-Ensuring the provision of cross training and skill development opportunities to staff assigned at Quickie Laboratories
-Developing policies, protocols and procedures for the operation of the labs, ensuring compliance with all regulatory requirements, and professional accrediting organizations’ recommendations and guidelines
-Monitoring and evaluating the effectiveness of the areas under supervision
-Directing long and short-term program planning activities
-Serving as senior executive officer of the assigned area and principal advisor to the Assistant Commissioner of the Public Health Laboratory in establishing operational and program policies, guidelines, and procedures
-Collaborate with DOHMH, City, State, and community partners Minimum Qual Requirements 1. For Assignment Level I (only physical, biological and environmental sciences and public health) A master's degree from an accredited college or university with a specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological or environmental science or in public health.
To be appointed to Assignment Level II and above, candidates must have:
1. A doctorate degree from an accredited college or university with specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological, environmental or social science and one year of full-time experience in a responsible supervisory, administrative or research capacity in the appropriate field of specialization; or
2. A master's degree from an accredited college or university with specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological, environmental or social science and three years of responsible full-time research experience in the appropriate field of specialization; or
3. Education and/or experience which is equivalent to "1" or "2" above. However, all candidates must have at least a master's degree in an appropriate field of specialization and at least two years of experience described in "2" above. Two years as a City Research Scientist Level I can be substituted for the experience required in "1" and "2" above.
Appointments to this position are subject to a minimum probationary period of one year. Preferred Skills Possession of or eligibility for a Clinical Laboratory Director Certificate of Qualification in appropriate categories issued by the New York State Clinical Laboratory Evaluation Program.
A PhD in biological sciences, microbiology, or related field with extensive experience and/or postdoctoral training in the technical and administrative operations of a clinical or public health laboratory; or equivalent.
Strong verbal and written communication skills. Ability to work well within a management team environment. Additional Information **IMPORTANT NOTES TO ALL CANDIDATES:
Please note: If you are called for an interview you will be required to bring to your interview copies of original documentation, such as:
• A document that establishes identity for employment eligibility, such as: A Valid Passport, Permanent Resident Card/Green Card, or Driver’s license.
• Proof of Education according to the education requirements of the civil service title.
• Current Resume
• Proof of Address/NYC Residency dated within the last 60 days, such as: Recent Utility Bill Telephone, Cable, Mobile Phone)
Additional documentation may be required to evaluate your qualification as outlined in this posting’s “Minimum Qualification Requirements” section. Examples of additional documentation may be, but not limited to: college transcript, experience verification or professional trade licenses.
If after your interview you are the selected candidate you will be contacted to schedule an on-boarding appointment. By the time of this appointment you will be asked to produce the originals of the above documents along with your original Social Security card.